If only I had $1 for every time I heard…. “I guess this is a common SEO question but….” and then, it is, yet again, one of the things websites owners really need to know about SEO, but don’t.
Don’t get me wrong, I love questions. And I think the only silly question, is the one you don’t ask. So I never mind being asked questions, especially about SEO when the answer is going to come rolling out of my mouth quicker than I can even think about.
Finally though, for all those who like to read or refer back to stuff, I’ve made a blog post of the 12 most common SEO questions we get asked. They also happen to be some of the best SEO questions, especially for newbies to the SEO world. So let’s go dive into the most common SEO questions we’ve heard.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, which is the practice of improving a website’s visibility and relevance on search engines for various keywords and queries.
Why is SEO important?
SEO is important because it helps your website get more organic traffic from search engines, which can lead to more conversions, sales, leads, or whatever your business goals are. SEO also helps you build trust and authority with your target audience, as well as increase your brand awareness and recognition.
How does SEO work?
SEO works by optimizing various aspects of your website, such as the content, structure, speed, user experience (UX), technical elements, and links. These factors help the search engines understand what your website is about and how relevant it is to the users’ queries. The more optimized your website is, the higher it will rank on the search results pages.
How long does SEO take?
SEO is not a one-time thing, but an ongoing process that requires constant monitoring, analysis, and improvement. The time it takes to see results from SEO depends on many factors, such as the competition, the industry, the keywords, the current state of your website, and the quality of your SEO strategy. Generally speaking, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more to see significant improvements in SEO.
What are keywords?
Keywords are the words or phrases that users type into search engines to find what they are looking for. Keywords are essential for SEO because they help you target the right audience and match their intent. Keywords can be classified into different types, such as head keywords (short and broad), long-tail keywords (longer and more specific), and LSI keywords (related or synonymous terms).
How do I find keywords for SEO?
There are many tools and methods that you can use to find keywords for SEO, such as:
- Using keyword research tools like Semrush or Google Keyword Planner
- Analyzing your competitors’ websites and their keywords
- Exploring online forums, social media platforms, and Q&A sites for relevant topics and questions
- Using Google’s autocomplete and related searches features
- Brainstorming ideas based on your products, services, audience, and goals
Where do I put keywords on my website?
You should put keywords on your website in strategic places where they can help the search engines and the users understand what your page is about. Some of these places are:
- The title tag
- The meta description
- The URL
- The headings and subheadings
- The body text
- The images and their alt attributes
- The internal and external links
However, you should avoid keyword stuffing, which is the practice of using too many keywords or repeating them unnaturally on your page. This can harm your SEO and user experience.
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is a form of marketing that involves creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and engaging content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience. Content marketing can help you achieve various goals, such as:
- Increasing your website traffic
- Generating leads and conversions
- Building trust and authority with your audience
- Educating and informing your potential customers
- Improving your brand awareness and reputation
Some examples of content marketing are blog posts, ebooks, infographics, videos, podcasts, webinars, case studies, testimonials, etc.
How do I create SEO-friendly content?
To create SEO-friendly content, you should follow some best practices, such as:
- Conducting keyword research and using them appropriately in your content
- Writing for your audience first and then for the search engines
- Providing useful, informative, and original content that answers the users’ questions
- Using clear and catchy headlines and subheadings to structure your content
- Adding relevant images, videos, or other media to enhance your content
- Optimizing your content for mobile devices and different screen sizes
- Including a clear call to action at the end of your content
What is link building?
Link building is the process of acquiring links from other websites that point to your website. Links are important for SEO because they act as votes of confidence and popularity for your website. The more quality and relevant links you have, the higher your website will rank on the search engines. Link building can also help you:
- Drive referral traffic to your website
- Increase your brand exposure and credibility
- Build relationships and partnerships with other websites and influencers
- Diversify your traffic sources and channels
How do I get links to my website?
There are many ways and strategies that you can use to get links to your website, such as:
- Creating and promoting high-quality content that others will want to link to
- Guest posting on relevant and authoritative websites in your niche
- Reaching out to bloggers, journalists, or influencers who might be interested in your content or products
- Participating in online communities, forums, or social media platforms where you can share your content or expertise
- Submitting your website or content to directories, aggregators, or roundups
- Finding and fixing broken links on other websites that you can replace with yours
- Asking for links from your customers, partners, suppliers, or friends
How do I measure the success of my SEO efforts?
To measure the success of your SEO efforts, you should use various tools and metrics that can help you track and analyze your website’s performance. Some of these tools and metrics are:
- Google Analytics: a free tool that allows you to monitor your website’s traffic, behavior, conversions, and goals
- Google Search Console: a free tool that allows you to check your website’s health, indexability, crawlability, and visibility on the search engines
- Semrush: a paid tool that allows you to conduct keyword research, competitor analysis, site audit, rank tracking, backlink analysis, and more
- Moz: a paid tool that allows you to measure your website’s domain authority, page authority, spam score, and more
Some of the key metrics that you should pay attention to are:
- Organic traffic: the number of visitors that come to your website from the search engines
- Keyword rankings: the positions that your website occupies on the search results pages for various keywords
- Bounce rate: the percentage of visitors that leave your website after viewing only one page
- Conversion rate: the percentage of visitors that complete a desired action on your website, such as filling out a form, making a purchase, subscribing to a newsletter, etc.
- Return on investment (ROI): the ratio of the profit or loss generated by your SEO efforts compared to the cost invested